Kaspersky Anti-Virus® 5.5 for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD Workstation, Kaspersky Anti-Virus® 5.5 for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD File Server version 5.5.3/RELEASE
Kaspersky Anti-Virus® 5.5 for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD Workstation, and Kaspersky Anti-Virus® 5.5 for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD File Server (hereinafter also referred to as Kaspersky Anti-Virus) are designed for anti-virus protection of file servers and workstations running Linux, FreeBSD or OpenBSD operating systems.
This software product allows the user to:
- On-access check for viruses, which makes possible real-time virus protection.
- On-demand check for viruses in all mounted file systems.
- Detect infected, suspicious, corrupted, and password-protected files, as well as files that cause errors during the scanning procedure.
- Carry out anti-virus processing (disinfection) of infected objects in file systems; move to the quarantine directory all infected, suspicious, and corrupted objects of the server file system. For the latter, disinfected and password-protected files can also be quarantined, as well as files that fail to be scanned because of an error.
- Update the anti-virus databases. Anti-virus database updates are downloaded from Kaspersky Lab’s update servers.
- Configure Kaspersky Anti-Virus via the web based interface provided by the Webmin program and the product configuration file.
In order to function properly, Kaspersky Anti-Virus needs a system complying
with the following requirements:
- x86-32 system architecture based on an Pentium class CPU or above.
- 32 Mb of RAM or more.
- 100 Mb or more of available hard disk space.
- One of the following operating systems:
- RedHat Linux 9.0
- RedHat Fedora Core 3
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server 3
- SuSe Linux Enterprise Server 9.0
- SuSe Linux Professional 9.2
- Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux version 10.1
- Debian GNU/Linux version 3.0 updated (r4)
- Debian GNU/Linux version 3.1
- FreeBSD version 4.10
- FreeBSD version 5.3
- OpenBSD version 3.6
- The which utility
- Perl version 5.0 or higher
- The Webmin package (optional) for remote administration of Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.5 during installation does not overwrite or upgrade
to version 5.5 the existing versions of Kaspersky Anti-Virus. It changes only
files essential for operation of version 5.5. The setup procedure allows import of settings from previous versions into version
What's new compared to version 5.0
Version 5.5 of Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Unix Workstations and File Servers
features the following changes compared to version 5.0:
- On-Access scanner component kavmonitor, which allows real-time anti-virus protection
- New technologies have been implemented for downloading of updates to the
anti-virus databases and application modules, (including integrity and usability checks for downloaded databases) ensuring considerable network traffic economy, and high product reliability.
- A possibility to select the anti-virus databases has been added (standard databases, extended or paranoid set). You can specify individually the set of anti-virus databases to be used by each product component.
- The application setup and removal procedure has been simplified considerably.
- During application setup you may import the settings from earlier versions (4.0 or 5.0), which helps create an efficient configuration quickly.
- The application now has a special feature, which allows creation of backup storage used to preserve copies of suspicious or infected objects prior to their disinfection or removal. That helps avoid the loss of original data in cases, when something goes wrong during object disinfection.
- The iChecker database technology and double-level caching of objects being scanned have been implemented to decrease server load during anti-virus scanning.
- A possibility to restrict the number of objects scanned simultaneously in the background has been added to optimize server load.
- A possibility to generate a list of detectable viruses has been added.
- The installer does not import Proxy Server settings during application setup with import of settings from a previous version.